Wednesday, March 24, 2010

To Jon



While I don't understand your Dr. Seuss allusion (though, as you can see, I have countered it with my own...) I understand your comments completely. I did crawl through The Tempest, and while I agree that it is a very important book historically and politically, I have the habit of getting far too into the story and actually sparking pet peeves in myself about certain characters. I also have never really understood or liked Shakespeare (a veritable crime for a literature-lover, I know) and I find his characters to be exhaustively similar and frustrating. It's not to say it's not a great book. I definitely wouldn't advocate to anyone not to read it, it was just something that piqued annoyance while I was reading it. In fact, I would never tell anyone not to read anything (except maybe Twilight...)
And yes, I love Bradbury! Thanks for the advice.

1 comment:

  1. I just heard through the grapevine, that the new Julie Taymor Tempest movie, is going to cast Prospero with a woman, actually changing the character into Prospera. She made Titus Andronicus into a film that though induced horror, was absolutely amazing so i presume this will be as well.

    ReplyDelete