Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Alchemist and lowbrow works

So I finally finished that Alchemist (didn't have much reading time over spring break--I work at KGLT and we're in the middle of fundraising. And it's been crazy...), and I wouldn't say that I'm terribly impressed but I didn't find it as revolting as others did either. While I don't think it's the groundbreaking, life-changing novel that people make it out to be, I also didn't not enjoy reading it. It was definitely a welcome break to the heavy sociology books I usually have to read.
Dr. Sexson's talking about Harry Potter definitely resounded with me. My religious parents discouraged me from reading the books, so of course I ran out and read the first one. Have to say I didn't really like it anyway; by that time I was already into other fantasy writers; Anne Rice (who is still my favorite, I don't care how "lowbrow" she is), Vivian Vande Velde, Donna Jo Napoli, etc. I never really liked to read about kids, probably because I never really wanted to be one. Anyway, I think his point about the infancy of Americans was a good one. I think our culture has gotten to the point that it wants to be spoon fed every part and theme from any entertainment media that comes their way. Of course there are exceptions to this, but the popularity of the Twilight books proves my point. I don't mean to sound insulting, but the books (yes, I have read the first one and I thought it was okay, but it's just not Anne Rice...) don't have any mystery or twists to them; I knew exactly how it was going to end when I started the book. I found The Alchemist to be the same way; I didn't like that I didn't have to think about it, but then again, I liked very much that I didn't have to think about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment