Reading Adam Benson's blog about "Books Under Judgment" kind of hit home for me. I, too, have found my reading habits changed after taking this class. After reading all the highbrow works we've read, specifically Beckett and Eliot, I've found that I have trouble finding other books that interest me at all. It's almost like a lot of the books I look at now look unsatisfying, like I've experienced kenosis and am now looking for a work of pleurosis and won't just settle for any old book. Stories by lowbrow authors just don't hold my interest, and movies that are not complex enough are just frustrating. I'm now doomed for eternity to be a highbrow literature snob.
I also agreed with Adam's analysis of popular music. I've always been very picky about the music I listen to, but now that I am getting older and going through Sexson classes, I see myself becoming frustrated with music that is not complex enough--not only in regards to the lyrics, but also in regards to the melody. I have developed a love for Rufus Wainwright, a relatively highbrow singer/songwriter. He has a cool song called "Little Sister" that's about Mozart, and his covers of Leonard Cohen are also pretty amazing. I have always thought that popular music is usually bad music, don't ask me why, and I work at KGLT, a station that plays almost no popular music, so I definitely appreciate higher-brow music now (I'm also the one who picks out the classical music to be played, as well as the loud rock music--an interesting combo, I know).
All in all, I'm kind of glad this class exposed me to highbrow literature, because a good, highbrow book feels like a good meal--delicious, necessary, and filling.
Monday, April 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment