I still don't really know how to feel about this book. I can't decide whether I like it or not. One thing I do like about it is that it's very quotable. I also like that sometimes Rushdie sticks in little things he knows readers will identify with. One os these things is when Haroun says, "How popular can this Buttoo be if he needs all these soldiers to protect him?" It made me laugh, because all the celebrities we practically worship in America always have bodyguards. Why do they need bodyguards if everyone supposedly likes them?
Something I didn't enjoy about Haroun was the style of the writing. I found it a little dry. But I usually prefer very ornate writers, which are also sometimes criticized in the literary world for being too wordy.
That's all I have to say about Haroun, I suppose. Now to delve into Finnegan's Wake...talk about wordy!
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment