After taking Dr. Sexson's Biblical Lit class, I know that I can't really make many solid "expectations" for this class, because the results are always unexpected. Last semester, I read the Bible, was converted to a bluegrass fan thanks to Dr. Sexson and Mr. Ralph Stanley, and learned that Job is a much more important book that I ever thought it could be.
So, this semester I expect to be challenged and to find the best of high brow and low brow, and learn to connect the two together. While writing this blog, I realized that I'm a person of extremes when it comes to the different "brows." I'm either reading Faulkner, Anne Rice, or George R.R. Martin or I'm reading Stephen Colbert or Dave Barry. I'm either watching cult classic television shows from the 80's or adult cartoons. I don't really tread a lot of "middle brow" ground, because my moods vary from wanting to think hard and be challenged and not wanting to think at all.
I took this class because I love a challenge. I love it when I have to sit down and think about things. I'm probably one of few non-English majors in this class, but I think not being an English major makes these classes so much more enjoyable. If I don't have to learn something, it's often that much easier for me to learn.
On a parting note, my final expectation for this class is to be inspired in regards to my own writing and to learn not only how to read high-brow material, but also how to write it.
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment